Under the leadership of Dr. Carlson, the activities and collections of the Section steadily expanded to serve a wide range of interests, from the education of medical students and residents to the exchange of ideas among historically oriented scholars from many disciplines. In the early 1960's, Dr. Carlson instituted the biweekly research seminars, which in 1993 were renamed the Richardson Research Seminar in honor of the Richardsons' generous support.
|Hermine Hug-Hellmuth (1871-1924) (From the Jelliffe lantern slide collection, Oskar Diethelm Library)|
In 1976, the manuscript division of the Library was officially established, indicating its growing importance as a repository for the unpublished papers of many organizations and individuals vital to the history of psychiatry.
In 1992, Dr. George J. Makari assumed the Directorship of the Institute. Dr. Makari has undertaken a number of initiatives, including the launching of the Cornell Studies in the History of Psychiatry book series, the inauguration of the Carlson Grand Rounds in the History of Psychiatry, the creation of specialized research working groups, and the modernization and professional cataloguing of the ODL's holdings. In 1998, Diane Richardson, M.L.S. was appointed Special Collections Librarian. In 2003, Nathan M. Kravis was appointed Associate Director of the Institute. Marisa Shaari, MLS, serves as Special Collections Librarian.